Enable Two Step Authentication on WordPress Site
Today I want to show you how to enable two step authentication on WordPress. Two step authentication or verification is one of the best and most perfect methods to secure your WordPress site. This method is really popular among the users. There are a lot of people who are familiar with two step authentication because they have already used this technique in Gmail, facebook or twitter. Now You need to know how to enable two step authentication in WordPress. You need to keep free your site from all threats. This is the age of technology and there are a large number of bad guys who always busy to harm your site. They are hackers and they are really dangerous for your site.
You May Like:
- Improve WordPress Site Security Important Tips & Tricks
- Rename Uncategorized Category in WordPress at once
- How to Migrate from Blogger to WordPress Safely
If you enable two step authentication on WordPress then it will not easy to hack your site. The only password is not enough to protect your site because use one password more than one accounts and password will leak anytime. So we need another shield that increases the security of our websites. We use a strong password that is good but we need to change password time to time. But we are too lazy that we can not change our password time to time. In this case, two step verification or authentication can protect you because no one can access your admin panel if they know although they know your username or password. They need extra security code that was sent to your phone.
What is Two Step Authentication
Two step verification or authentication is a process that allows you to add an extra layer of security on your site. In this process, you can not enter your site using your username and password, you need another security code or PIN number that was sent to your mobile device by Google Authenticator.
When you enable two step authentication on WordPress, your blog will be directly connected to your mobile device, only you have right to get the unique code for each login.
How to Enable Two Step Authentication on WordPress
- At first, you need to download and install Google Authenticator app on your mobile device. You can visit Google App Store to download and install this app.
- Now go back to your WoredPress Dashboard then install and activate Google Authenticator Plugin on WordPress.
- Now navigate to WordPress menu and click on Users >> Your Profile. Scroll down to see Google Authenticator settings.
- Now select the Active box that allows you to enable two step verification. Generally, google authenticator code expires every minute. If you select Relaxed Mode you will get more time (about 4 minutes) to use one code.
- The Description is your account name on Google Authenticator app on your phone. You can not give spaces in your description if you are using iPhone. Write just like me MyTechGoal.
- If you don’t want to use the QR code then you need the Secret key.
- You need Enable App password if you are using XML-RPC on your blog.
Add your site to mobile Authenticator app
First, you need to open Google Authenticator app on your mobile. Then click on the upper right pen for editing. Now click on plus icon to add a new account.
- Select Time Based codes because it is more secure than Counter Based codes.
- Now Scan Barcode if you don’t have any spaces in the description. Click Show QR code button to see the QR code.
- Here Account box is for those who have spaces in the description, so type the description here as account name such as MyTech Goal.
- If you don’t want to use QR code then type Secret key that you get from google authenticator settings options on your WordPress Dashboard.
- Finally, click on Done.
Now log out from your WordPress dashboard and then try to log in, you need extra Google Authenticator code along with your username and password.
Hope this article will help you to enable two step authentication on WordPress. If you need any help please contact with me.