Rename Uncategorized Category in WordPress at once
At present, WordPress is the best content management system for the web developers and the bloggers. Because WordPress has a lot of impressive features that inspire all to use this excellent platform. In this article, I want to show how to rename uncategorized category in WordPress. Every new WordPress install comes with a default post category titled “Uncategorized”.
Every post must be imputed to one or more categories before publishing. But if any post that is not given a category manually, it will be filed under the “Uncategorized” category automatically. Most of the users want to rename uncategorized category in WordPress. Because it looks unprofessional and unskilful.
You May Like:
- How to Migrate from Blogger to WordPress Safely
- Improve WordPress Site Security Important Tips & Tricks
- How to Change WordPress Admin URL to Protect Your Blog
A category is really important because it divides the whole work into different sections. It helps the users to find out anything easily.
You can edit or rename default category. But you can not delete the default category until you assign another category to be used as default.
There are two options, you can rename “Uncategorized” category with something significant or you can set a new default category. Most of the people prefer the first option. So I show you how to rename uncategorized category in WordPress.
Rename Uncategorized Category in WordPress
- Go to WordPress Dashboard then place the mouse cursor on Posts and select Categories.
- Now click on Edit just below Uncategorized category.
- Then you can edit the Uncategorized category, you need to change it’s Slug also. You can replace Uncategorized with another meaningful category. I have changed Uncategorized with Others.
- Now click on Update. That’s all. you have done.
But there is a problem. If your site is under development you can change Uncategorized category without any hesitation. But if your WordPress site has already been indexed by google, that change will lead you 404 errors. This will happen when the users and search engines visit your site.
So you need to redirect traffic from your former Uncategorized URL to the new category. You can use Simple 301 Redirects plugin to do that.
Just install and activate this plugin. Then go to Settings >> 301 Redirects page. Now enter the old URL in the Request field and enter the new URL in the Destination field. Finally, click on Save Changes. Now you have done.
I hope you can rename uncategorized category in WordPress. If you have any question please tell me. I can help you directly to rename uncategorized category in WordPress.